I’ve spoken about how my husband and I are, at times, complete opposites. There is no exception to this when it comes to our sleeping styles. It typically takes me from 15 to 30 minutes to fall asleep. Within 5 to 10 minutes he is out like a light. I can’t fall asleep in front of the television. He snores so loudly when watching the tube, that I often miss the punchlines. I wear a tank top and undies to sleep. He sleeps in his birthday suit. Is one better than the other when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep?
PROS of wearing pajamas:
- They keep you warm and cozy - Though you may use a sheet, a comforter, or both, pajamas stay in place better to keep you covered throughout the night.
- They capture dead skin cells - Our bodies naturally lose dead skin cells throughout the night. By wearing pajamas, instead of transferring these cells to our sheets they get captured in our pajamas, keeping our sheets cleaner longer.
- They cover you in an emergency - Should there be any type of emergency in the middle of the night, you can walk (or run) out of your house in a hurry, without the need to cover up first.
- They can make you feel sexy - If you opt for lingerie or other feminine pajama types, they can help you to feel attractive. Your partner might appreciate this simple nightly primping as well.
CONS of wearing pajamas:
- They can get tangled - Just as your sheets may become a muddled mess during the night, your pajamas aren’t guaranteed to stay in place. If you wear pajamas with pants, the legs might ride up and get stuck on your legs.
- They bind you - Though you aren’t tied down to your bed, pajamas may make you feel restricted in your movement.
- They aren’t freeing - You (most likely) are not able to go to work in the buff. Nighttime is a great time to have the freeing feeling of wearing nothing at all. If you wear pajamas, you miss out on this opportunity.
- They can overheat you - While you are asleep, if your bedding makes you hot, you can throw it off of your body with ease, doing this while you are still sleeping and not even realizing it. Pajamas are not as easy to remove while asleep.
As with many things in life, there is no right or wrong answer, just what is right or wrong for you. I don’t know if I could ever feel completely comfortable sleeping in the nude. Maybe one day I will change my mind. For now, I will slip off my work clothes, slip on my tank top, lay down on my perfectly poised bed, and lay me down to sleep. They may not be the prettiest of nightclothes, but they are the perfect pajamas for me.