Peter Piper might have picked a peck of pickled peppers, but Pretty Polly picked the perfect pillow for her proclivities. How, you might ask? It’s simple. When you know what to look for, picking the perfect pillow is painless. Here are some tips to use when looking for that perfect pillow:
- Pick your position - The first thing you need to do when picking a pillow is to determine what type of sleeper you are. If you sleep on your stomach, you will want a flat pillow that does not raise your head at an uncomfortable angle. If you sleep on your side, you will want a thicker pillow that can accommodate that space between your head and your shoulder. Back sleepers often need extra neck support to maintain proper spinal alignment. Adjustable pillows, such as the Premium Bamboo Adjustable Pillow, are great as you can make them as firm or as soft as you prefer.
- To brrrrr or not to brrrrr, that is the question - Though it seems that we sleep better when we are cooler, some people prefer to be warm when they sleep. If you are one who prefers the cold, you’ll want to ensure that your head stays cool all night long. A pillow with cooling technology such as the Frost Gel Pillow is the way to go for you.
- Allergic to everything - If you are one who suffers from allergies or sensitivities, then the base material can affect you while you sleep. Though you will most likely cover your pillow with a pillowcase, having a pillow that is antibacterial and hypoallergenic underneath can help ensure you aren’t affected by allergens. Our Premium Bamboo Pillow, with an outer casing made of natural bamboo, is a great choice.
- You like to stop and smell the roses - Well, make that flowers. If you practice aromatherapy, you understand the benefits of having a pillow with essential oils infused into it. The advantage of having the oils infused is no need to add a messy pillow spray. The Lavender and Chamomile Infused Pillows are great, firm pillows for this. Their pleasant and calming scents will help you to get your best sleep.
- Can’t stop this feeling - Some prefer to feel a smoother surface under their heads, while others like the ability to “scrunch” their pillow underneath their heads. If you want a smoother surface, a pillow made with either molded memory foam or sheets of memory foam would be the better option for you. If you like to “scrunch” your pillow, then shredded memory foam or a pillow filled with down could be what you are looking for. If you opt for down, make sure that the animals are treated ethically. Lavender & Chamomile does not offer down or other animal options as we are cruelty-free.
- You have additional needs - At times, more than one pillow is needed to achieve optimal comfort. If you are a side sleeper, you may find utilizing a small pillow between your legs assists with your alignment. Many Travel Pillows, with their compact size, can be great to add to your sleeping routine when one pillow isn’t enough to fit your needs.
Whichever pillow or pillows you opt for, make sure that they are made with the highest quality materials. At Lavender & Chamomile, for example, we certify many components of our pillows. CertiPur-US ®, a certification program administered by a not-for-profit organization, certifies the foams that we use. This certification lets you know that the foams meet standards for content, emissions, and durability. OEKO-TEX ® STANDARD 100 ensures that the bamboo that is used in our products do not contain prohibited dyes, chemicals, formaldehyde, or other harmful items.
There you have it. Simple steps to pick your perfect pillow. My perfect pillow is the Lavender Infused Pillow. I am a side-sleeper, and I prefer the firmness of this pillow. Plus, the lavender essential oil that is infused into it helps me to fall and stay asleep. Talking about pillows, I think it’s time I go get mine and take a nap.